I’m in the middle of conducting a Leadership Development Program for a company that is young. And their managers – 11 of them – are really young: the oldest is 29 and the youngest is 23. What’s more – none of them have had management training before, so it’s been an interesting experience for all of us.
Prior to conducting the program, I asked them what they most wanted from their training. Here are their answers:
- How to give both positive and negative feedback.
- How to utilize people’s strengths and optimize their weaknesses.
- How to get subordinates to Manage Up.
- How to keep my team motivated
- How to make the most efficient use of my time.
- How to delegate (this is related to #5).
- How to manage expectations.
A pretty good list – and, I think, not just limited to Gen Y Managers.