Volumes of research has been conducted on how to manage Generation Y. I find most of the information way too general and not specific enough – after all, Generation Y, like Gen X and boomers, are still individuals and cannot all be gathered into one generic group.
Recently, while conducting management training for a bunch of Gen Y’ers, I asked them to think of the best boss they ever worked for. Then I asked them what that person was their best boss. Here are their responses:
- Gave me frequent and good feedback
- Explanations before delegating to me
- Pushed me to better myself
- Helped in my career development/was a mentor
- Provided clear direction and purpose
- Showed concern for a work/life balance
- Treated me as a partner and collaborator, not just an employee
- Trusted me/empowered me
- Focused on my strengths
- Was a good teacher
If you manage Generation Y employees – is this the type of boss you are?